We love Pittsburgh for so many reasons. The sports teams, the food, the art and so much more. But what we love most is the thing that makes it all come together: the people.
A friend of mine stumbled upon a painted rock while she was taking a walk at the park. It was painted with a beautiful quote and on the back it read, “#PittsburghRocks Post a pic, and re-hide me.”
So she did just that. And found there was a whole community dedicated to these little guys. But what she found was so much more than she expected.
With nearly 6,000 members on Facebook, Pittsburgh Rocks exists as a movement consisting of acts of random kindness to unexpectedly brighten someone’s day.
How it works
- Clean your rock. (You will find detailed instructions for this on the Facebook group)
- Decorate your rock. Add an inspirational quote or just a fun image that reflects you! Make sure to hashtag #PittsburghRocks somewhere on the rock so your finder will know what to do next.
- Post a picture of your rock. Come up with a fun hashtag that’s unique to your rock. This will connect you to whoever finds your work of art!
- Hide your rock. Choose a park or trail that is easily accessible so someone in the club can find it and continue to spread the word.
- Make someones day- if you’ve completed steps 1-4, you’ve already done this!
When we are creating, our mind is moved away from the stress in our lives and the issues in the world. When we hide rocks we are giving, and that just feels good.
Whether you’re just looking for an activity to do with a friend or you’re looking to make a difference in someones day, pick up a dirty old stone and turn it into something beautiful. Pittsburgh will thank you for it.
Wondering if you alone can make a difference in someones day? You can. Head to the Pittsburgh Rocks group on Facebook by clicking here and request to join!